The Preciousness of Truth—The High Cost of Dishonesty


Perhaps like the beloved grandfather I never got the chance to be, I am writing especially to younger folks,. I'm the oldest of 4 sons, the oldest of the cousins on one side, and third oldest on the other side of my extended family. My youngest brother was born when I was fifteen, and I was his frequent baby-sitter. I often gravitated toward the elderly because so many that I grew up with were older—grand parents, a couple great grands, aunts and uncles and great grands there as well, and my parents' friends. I also have always had a love for kids. After our father died, I discovered I had a concern for others, like my brothers, going through loss or alienation from their dads. I've lost track of how many in their teens and twenties, mostly boys perhaps because I had only brothers, I befriended. I have been a friend, mentor, tutor, and teacher to young men and a few young ladies growing into adulthood, some have even lived with me. I found them in coffee shops, restaurants, homes of friends my own age, and schools and churches. Teaching was always an option, and it eventually became my work for a time, primarily from my love for young people. As a Christian man, a pastor, and some time counselor, I have always tried to be a good adult friend who gave wise direction and insight (as contrasted to peer friends who often seem to encourage rebellion and disobedience).

Two qualities have been defining pillars in my journey through life: truth and love. My first sermon as a teenager addressed love as the Bible, inspired by God, teaches. One of my first public addresses outside the church was a baccalaureate message at the local high school in the town where I was a new pastor. On that occasion I spoke about truth; in particular I expressed my growing concern about how our culture was abandoning truth. In that, I identified two urgent matters. One was, and still is, the idea that absolute truth does not exist, accompanied by the assumption that there is no right or wrong. From this assumption, perhaps itself rarely considered, comes the second urgent matter (or at least it should be urgent). This second matter is dishonesty, you know, lying, deceit, false promises, and so on. While both are important, this second one is my focus here.

I'm guessing most of you might agree that lying, at least in our personal lives, is a problem. I cannot trust a person who lies to me. I mean, isn't that rather obvious? For me, the depth and value of any relationship is measured by my ability to trust that person and by my commitment to be found trustworthy by them. I want to say that, without honesty and trust, any relationship is nothing, but perhaps it would be better to say, without honesty and trust, I don't know, can't know, what I have! I may be drawn to a person, even sexually attracted, but without trust, how can there be love?
Now, if for some reason, this isn't obvious to you, I'd ask you to stop and evaluate. I have observed so many people react with anger to betrayal, even the suspicion of betrayal, which is a violation of trust and an indication of deceit and dishonesty. What good is a promise that may easily be broken? In our dealings with people, we must, of necessity, begin by trusting; if we begin with doubt and an unwillingness to give the benefit of the doubt, we will never trust. This is where the saying, “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!” gains validity; we may trust once and be betrayed, but we should avoid being betrayed repeatedly.

That word, “fool,” has a certain doubled sense; to be fooled is to have another lie to you, and to be lied to is to be made the fool, treated with disrespect, and regarded as inferior. This is where the broader problem of lying, dishonesty, promises made without intent to keep them, and being manipulated and taken as a fool without true respect should trouble us, regardless of age, generation, education, ethnicity, or party.

The President routinely calls mainstream and cable news providers “fake news.” I think they, and far too many politicians, have become dispensers of propaganda. They mostly use their roles as “reporters” of news (and politicians as solvers of nonexistent problems) to deceive, manipulate, hide and misdirect truth while promoting false narratives, or “fake news”. Sadly their words are worse than “fake news,” which tends to sound innocuous, kind of like fiction. However, in this dangerous real world, fictional narratives are not only hurtful, to those intended to be destroyed by them; lies, deception, and propaganda represent real harm to certain groups of people and ultimately the entire citizenry, except perhaps the scoundrels seeking to profit from them. We must be aware that liars don't care whom they hurt as long as it is not themselves!

I'm not going to tell you who those scoundrels are. I don't want to turn this into a polarizing debate. I do want to tell you whom they are trying to mislead and manipulate. It is you! Their target is anyone who will listen uncritically, who will give them an assumed credibility because of who they are, the labels or credentials they have, or what they do—teacher, journalist, professor, candidate, talking head, author, so-called expert, scientist, celebrity, preacher or religious leader, broadcaster, You-tuber, blogger, or pod-caster, athlete, or even an elected representative!

For years now, we have been inundated with garbage via mail, fax, email, and now social media. It really upsets me to receive, personally or generally, copies of such material passed on as gospel, at times simply because it is there! I check things frequently, and then I tell people that the post, article, email, or whatever is not true! I try to kindly suggest they need to check and verify before they give lies and deception the benefit of their endorsement. I'm a Christian, and many of my friends and acquaintances are also Christians. Truth is important to us (presumably), and we need not to be careless with passing on untruth. Yet, ironically, even some family, friends, and fellow believers get upset with me for exposing garbage for what it is!

Obviously, I believe truth matters. I don't know how we function in anything without true, valid, and accurate information. Science isn't truth, per se, but honest and validated scientific data is critically important. However, the word “science” doesn't prove what a person says is truth. People without credentials or training abuse the word science all the time, and true scientists are not automatically correct or truthful. They sometimes, perhaps even often, get it wrong, which is why the “repeatability of the experiment” is a basic of true scientific validation. Sometimes even scientists lie to gain fame or position or money, the same reason many of those I listed above lie.
I could add, at this point, some of the documentation that reveals the problem I'm discussing here, and I may do that, in due course. For now, I just want to challenge you:

Please, learn to be a critical thinker and learn to listen
with a measure of skepticism.
Our country and culture, our very freedom are at stake!

The following are a few questions I would challenge you to ask or seek answers to:
  1. Does a message you read or hear sound too good to be true? Find out!
  2. How are we going to pay for what is proposed? Familiarize yourself with the US Debt Clock and our Gross National Product. Learn for yourself the price of false promises.
  3. Why do you believe anyone in particular? Should you? What is their true goal or desire? Are you inclined to accept that anything in print is true? Anything posted on Facebook or Twitter? Anything sent by a friend?
  4. Do you believe people are basically good? What do you know of this person's background? Give your trust cautiously.
  5. Are you aware of the possibility of “unintended consequences”?
As a Christian myself, my value system is not merely to achieve what I want but to do what God's offers as both his hope for us and what his wisdom suggests will give us a good and godly life.  I just posted my thoughts on that here/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I am NOT, well, a Lot of Things!

Terms of Engagement: Abortion, an Example

Be Right in the Right Way